S/S Grade 8: $34.72 per hour + super
||Youth Leadership and Development ,
IKON PARK Gate 3 Royal Parade, Carlton, 3053
The Youth Empowerment Director will be a key contributor to the development of YMCA Victoria’s Young People Strategy and lead and support initiatives that engage and empower young people.
• Work for an organisation that values diversity.
• Great staff benefits like free access to gyms!
The Youth Empowerment Director will take a leading role within Youth Services in the delivery of YMCA's belief statement: “We believe in the power of inspired young people". They will be a key contributor in the development of YMCA Victoria's Young People Strategy and lead and support initiatives that engage and empower young people, including new youth governance platforms currently under consideration that amplify the voices of young people.
In particular, they will chair the Young People Strategic Development Team referred to above (and/or future committees with similar roles), support the development of a youth sub-committee to the Board and act as spokesperson for this team/these teams. Where appropriate and authorised, they may also act as a spokesperson on to matters within and beyond the organisation. They are passionate about youth empowerment and knowledgeable about issues affecting young people.
The position requires a motivated individual who shows initiative, can manage multiple stakeholders and complex projects and can work independently as well as part of a team.
About the Company
At the Y, we believe in the power of inspired young people. A community not-for-profit organisation with 17 million participations annually across Australia. 8,000 staff and volunteers serve at more than 150 locations every day. We partner with government and private capital to deliver programs and services that include community recreation, adventure and stadium sports, camping, learn to swim, children's programs, early learning, youth services, retirement living, disability services and social enterprises.
About the Centre
Youth Services is one of five major sectors that YMCA Victoria works in. Its work is at the heart of the organisation's purpose (“We believe in the power of inspired young people"). Youth Services runs a range of programs designed to empower young people. These include a range of youth leadership and potential development programs, including “Youth Parliament", programs to introduce young people to social enterprise, volunteer development, and programs to reduce youth recidivism within the criminal justice system. Youth Services operates out of offices at Ikon Park (Carlton Football Ground) in North Carlton. Youth Services supports a cross organisation committee called the Young People Strategic Development Team, comprising a mix of young and more senior staff, which advocates for youth empowerment initiatives and youth voice across the organisation.
At the YMCA, we value our people. Working for us means you’ll enjoy great work/life balance and a range of benefits which improve your wellbeing and help you develop as an individual.
About the Role
Capabilities and Behaviours
- Passionate about youth engagement and empowerment
- Interest/knowledge on issues affecting young people and advocacy in this space
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and to chair and lead a committee
- High level of attention to detail and ability to use initiative
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, including the capacity to speak effectively in public
- Experience in building strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders, particularly young people
- Commitment to the YMCA belief in the power of inspired young people
Knowledge and Experience
- Experience working with young people, especially with initiatives designed to amplify youth voice and a contemporary understanding of youth participation
- Project management
- Stakeholder and community engagement
- Advocacy and social impact
- Experience producing and distributing written content for a range of audiences
- Experience working in a non-profit or community-focused organisation
How to Apply
Please submit: CV/Resume, Cover Letter, Key Selection Criteria
YMCA Victoria is committed to safeguarding children and young people. We require all applicants to undergo an extensive screening process prior to appointment, and successful applicants must comply with the YMCA’s Safeguarding Children and Young People Framework. Visit our website for further information
- Tertiary Qualification in relevant field would be considered an advantage.
- Driver's license and car (motor vehicle expenses incurred will be reimbursed
- Working With Children
- Safeguarding Children and Young People Certificate (completion online prior to commencement)
How to Apply