YMCA Victoria COVID-19 (coronavirus) updates
- Date: 13 March 2020
- Category: News
Last updated: 27 March, 2.30PM
We are committed to the health and wellbeing of the community and as the situation and response to COVID-19 evolves, so are we. We will be updating this page as new information comes in.
The Federal Government has advised that all non-essential businesses are to close from Monday 23 March to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus). For YMCA Victoria, this means all recreation centres, camp sites, Kingswim centres, youth services and disability services will be closed until further notice. Early Learning Centres have been classified as essential and will continue to operate.
At our Early Learning Centres, our educators will ensure your child’s health, wellbeing and safety by adhering to the following practises:
- Our educators are practising social distancing by working 1.5m apart from one another
- We understand that it is not always possible to practise social distancing with children. However, we will ensure our educators are equipped to talk to your child about the coronavirus and why social distancing and hygiene is so important
- We will split children between indoor and outdoor spaces to ensure children can spread out
- We will ensure children wash their hands hourly, as well as after toileting, before food and when coming inside
- Sanitising all surfaces and frequent touch points every 30 minutes
- Providing sanitiser at all entry points of centres
- Displaying guidelines for hand washing, social distancing and risk minimisation measures
- Having staff complete the accredited Department of Health COVID-19 infection control training course
- Distributing eWater to families where it’s available
- Replacing all scheduled incursions and excursion with in-house activities
- Reinforcing to staff the importance of monitoring their own health and are advising that if they feel unwell or are showing signs of illness, they must remain at home
- Children are separated between indoor and outdoor spaces to ensure that there is enough space between each child
- All centres have cancelled mat time until further notice
- All staff and children must wash their hands upon entry and each site will have an increased amount of sanitizer available
- Children are washing their hands hourly, as well as after toileting, before food and when coming inside
- Children are not be permitted to play with clay or play doh
- No visitors permitted in centres
- Single drop off / collection point for parents at reception
- Staff are teaching children about general hygiene and centres have put up additional signage promoting hygiene practices.
We want to reassure you that our staff have the support they need and are prepared to react accordingly to any confirmed or suspected cases. We take the health and safety of our communities very seriously and appreciate your understanding during this challenging time.
If you have any concerns, please feel free to get in contact with one of our friendly staff or visit the Department of Health and Human Services website at dhhs.vic.gov.au/coronavirus
Please find a message from Carolyn Morris, CEO YMCA Victoria and Kingswim, here.