Volunteering with the Y is a unique opportunity to contribute to our programs and services in a way that is both meaningful to yourself and to the wider community.
Volunteers have been the backbone of the Y since we opened our doors over 175 years ago. Our approach to volunteer development at the Y is about meaningful and positive engagement with people who commit to sharing their time, skills, and passion to make a real difference to our community.
Our volunteers get as much out of volunteering as they put into it. Here are some of the reasons our volunteers keep coming back:
- opportunity to have positive impact in their communities;
- building strong social connections;
- employment pathways;
- personal and professional development.
We are committed to providing memorable and meaningful opportunities for all of our volunteers.
Volunteer opportunitiesCheck out some of the awesome opportunities below to find out where you can volunteer.
YMCA Youth Services
We’ve been working with young people in Victoria for over a century. We know what it takes to help all young people reach their potential in life.
You can volunteer with young people through:
- Youth Parliament – a program that gives Victorians aged 16-25 a chance to be heard at the highest levels of State Government on a wide range of issues relevant to young people’s lives.
- UNO-Y – a leadership program for exceptional young people to grow and develop their potential, awareness and leadership capacities.
- YMCA Bridge Project – this project provides support, training and employment opportunities to young ex-offenders through mentoring and the development of new skills.
- YMCA Skate Parks – our facilities offer skate, BMX and scoot lessons for all abilities and age groups as well as competitions.
Find out more about how our programs make an impact.
YMCA Children’s Programs
We believe in instilling positive and healthy attitudes at an early age by providing a safe, nurturing and fun environment for children to reach their full potential.
You can volunteer with children and young people through our:
- Early Learning Centres – childcare, long day care and kindergarten.
- Before and After School Programs – fun activities outside school hours for kids to grow and learn.
- School Holiday Programs – fun activities and outings to awesome locations.
Your local centre
You can also volunteer at social and fundraising activities at your local YMCA centre.
Want to start volunteering? Register to become a volunteer!
Already a volunteer? Login.
YMCA Victoria is an Australian Childhood Foundation accredited child-safe organisation, and we are committed to safeguarding children and young people in our care.
We require all people applying to volunteer to undergo a screening process prior to appointment, and successful applicants must comply with the YMCA’s Safeguarding Children and Young People Framework.
Successful applicants will also be required to undergo a police check, hold a valid Working with Children Check, and will receive training relevant to their volunteer role.